The liquid has a "freezing point". When the liquid temperature is lower than the "freezing point" temperature, it will solidify to form a solid, and the volume of the deionized water or the pure water will become larger during the process of solidification, which will "break up" the pipeline of the water cooling system or will damage in the sealing connections.
In order to avoid damage to the laser, output head and water cooler caused by the solidification of the cooling liquid, we provide with technical information and solutions for antifreeze.
1. If there is no power outage in the local area absolutely, you can only turn on the water cooler ove the night, and adjust water temperature to 5 ~ 10 °C, to ensure the coolant is in a circulating situation and the temperature is not lower than the freezing point.
2. Drained the cooling liquid from the laser machine everyday after you finish to use it.
3. Use antifreeze as the coolant. Antifreeze must be used when the environment is often power outage and there are no conditions for daily coolant draining. The base liquid of antifreeze is generally composed of alcohol and water. It requires high boiling point and flash point, high specific heat and conductivity, low viscosity at low temperature, not easy to foam, and does not corrode metal parts and rubber hoses, etc. When selecting or blending antifreeze, the freezing point should be 5 °C lower than the lowest temperature in the environment.
a. Use ethanol for short-term antifreeze:
If the power is off and the cooling water cannot be drained, temporary short-term antifreeze is required. The Ethanol (alcohol) can be added into the deionized or purified water. The amount volume should not exceed 40% of the water tank. Because the corrosion of ethanol is very strong, it will corroded for grease, paints and rubber parts as well as metals. Therefore, they cannot be used for a long time. They must be drained within one week and cleaned with cooling water or deionized water.
b. Use professional antifreeze brands:
The CLARIANT brand is recommended. There are two models for antifreeze in laser machine:
1) Antifrogen® N ethylene glycol-water type (industrial products, human toxic)
2) Antifrogen® L propylene glycol-water type (food grade, harmless to human body)
Caution: Any antifreeze cannot completely replace deionized water and cannot be used for a long time throughout the year. After the winter, the pipeline must be cleaned with deionized water or purified water, and deionized water or purified water should be used as a coolant.
If conditions available, we still recommend improving the electricity environment, keeping the water cooler working at 5 ~ 10 °C temperature, or upgrading the cooling waterway design to make the daily cooling water draining simple and fast.